The Texas Music Educators Association hosted its annual jazz band competition over the weekend, where 13 PSJA students earned a spot in the All-Region Jazz Band, and four advanced to the Area contest.
TMEA hosted the contest virtually, to keep students safe and at home amid the pandemic.
“We are incredibly proud of all our students who competed and earned a chair in the All-Region Jazz Band,” said Superintendent of Schools Dr. Jorge L. Arredondo. “These students worked extremely hard to get this far and we wish nothing but the best for them as they continue with their high school music careers.”
According to PSJA Fine Arts Director Jon Taylor, of the 40 spots available in the All-Region Jazz Band, 13 were awarded to PSJA students.
“That’s an amazing percentage and it really reflects the students’ talents, work ethic and all the work the campus directors do to help those students showcase their talents.” he said. “We’re very pleased that our students are continuing to excel during this time of virtual learning. Even though everyone is working from home, we’re still getting the job done and this was a great opportunity for our students to shine.”
To add to the success of the 13 musicians, four of them also advanced to the Area contest and can now compete for the chance to earn a spot in the coveted All-State Jazz Band.
Congratulations to the following PSJA musicians:
- Roman Valenciano, 1st Chair Baritone Saxophone (Advanced to Area)
- Eric De La Garza, 1st Chair Tenor Trombone (Advance to Area)
- Abram Gonzalez, 2nd Chair Alto Saxophone (Advanced to Area)
- Ben Ray Lopez, 7th Chair Trumpet
PSJA Memorial ECHS:
- Donaldo Sebastian, 5th Chair Tenor Trombone
- Christopher Trevino, 6th Chair Tenor Trombone
- Arturo Cano, 6th Chair Trumpet
- Nathan Limas, 7th Chair Tenor Trombone
- Christian Ramirez, 9th Chair Trumpet
- Abraham Reyna, 10th Chair Trumpet
PSJA North ECHS:
- Christian Rodriguez, 3rd Chair Drums
- Dominick Rodriguez, 4th Chair Drums
PSJA Southwest ECHS
- Angel Meza, 8th Chair Trumpet